Saturday, June 15, 2013

Week Seven, Assignment 2

I read Rachel Deahl's article on the new sub genre; New Adult: Needless Marketing-Speak Or Valued Subgenre?  Personally I like the term, anything descriptive is helpful and they certainly could have done worse. ("Too Old For YA" or "You THINK You Are An Adult") The fact that so many books fit into this category legitimizes it.  the huge shifting gray area between teen and adult and what parents, publishers and authors think is appropriate at that age is not always easy to navigate and anything that helps that sounds good to me.

I also read The Next Big Thing by Jennifer Rummel and was particularly struck by her reason number two that YA is such a huge trend with adults. It’s partly nostalgia and partly escapism reading for adult readers.  I wonder if any of that has to do with the economy being so bleak for so long?  I can see adult readers wanting to taste again those feelings of youthful enthusiasm and confidence, with a side of escapism.

No comments:

Post a Comment